PERTH A modern, vibrant city beautifully situated on a sweeping bend of the Swan River. Landmarks and monuments... Art galleries, museums, theatres, concert halls, the Zoo, as well as outdoor cafés, coffee shops and restaurants and the unique architecture of London Court are part of the "Perth scene".
With its long coastline of white sandy beaches bordered by the Indian Ocean, Perth is famous for its boating, swimming, bike riding, walking, bird watching as well as that famous display of thousands of species of wildflowers in Spring (September/October).
PERTH Restaurants (** recommended)
- Frasers Restaurant, Kings Park **
- Matilda Bay
- The Boatshed **
- C Restaurant ** booking necessary, chic, expensive, dress-code
- The Old Brewery **
Cosmopolitan Fremantle is Perth's port and the home of "The Dockers". Take a Walking Tour or visit the wharves which have been restored and reviatlised with refurbishment of the existing structures and development of new attractions. Fremantle Markets, E-Shed markets, Fremantle Arts Centre.
SWAN VALLEY/THE HILLS
ROTTNEST ISLAND website
Rottnest Island, a short boat ride from the mainland and favourite family holiday spot. Native Quokkas have given the Island its name and still roam freely. Rottnest is surrounded by beautiful reef and is home to many species of marine life which travel the warm Leeuwin Current from the tropics. Apart from pristine beaches and coves there are a host of other activities.
- CYCLING AND WALKING TRAILS (the only two modes of transport on the Island!)
- BOATING, FISHING
- DIVING, SWIMMING, SURFING
- COACH/WALKING TOURS, TRAIN RIDE
- SCENIC FLIGHTS
No motorised traffic, the Island's favourite mode of transport is the bicycle - and the Tram! You can enjoy leisurely rides around the island, as well as tennis, golf, organised tours and mini golf. There are also boat cruises and plenty of water sport facilities.
Tours/things to do/galleries
- wine-tasting, caving, galleries, watersports...
- tours and attractions
- Tempted to buy unique Western Australian Jarrah pieces? Boranup Gallery (especially recommended)
- Historic Basildene Manor 5-star heritage-listed accommodation.
The first owner, a lighthouse keeper at Cape Leeuwin, built an imposing home resembling a relative's grand country estate in England - a beacon of grandeur against the surrounding karri trees. The Manor is shaded at the front by a huge oak tree that was planted around 1930 from an acorn acquired from the grounds of Buckingham Palace. The finest granite rocks were quarried on the property. Local jarrah was used in the staircases, balustrades, floors and the majestic central gallery and main hall.
- Margaret's Beach Resort
Spectacular position - right on the famous Margarets surfing Beach. Luxurious, self catering accommodation overlooking the Indian Ocean just 10 minutes from the town of Margaret River. Ocean-side location offers easy access to beaches and surf breaks; conveniently located close to the wineries, surfing, golf, caves, arts and craft galleries, whale watching.
Between the Capes - Geographe Bay website
2km long Bussellton jetty
Cape Naturaliste - Cape Leeuwin - and all the Caves in between....
- Whale watching cruises
- Wildflower Tours
- Wildlife Tours
- Caving, Diving, Surfing
- Fishing, Boating, Yachting, Canoeing
- Wine tasting
- Tuart Forest - Camping grounds in the South-West
- Boranup Gallery *****
- Bootleg Brewery
- Bussellton Jetty
- Margaret River Cheese Company
- Margaret River Fudge Chocolate
Major towns Tall Timbers region
The Great Southern website Bunbury to Albany
- Calving Southern Right and Humpback whales
- Spectacular wildflowers during the later half of the year
- One of the largest wine regions in Australia - over 30 different wineries - quality wines and gourmet food
- Locally produced wood, art and craft products
- Some of Western Australia's most beautiful harbours and national parks
- Tall Timbers region boasts amazing Jarrah and Karri forests + much more...
- Natural formations - the Natural Bridge, the Gap, Castle Rock and Tree in the Rock
Gloucester Tree website
For a sensational view, climb the Gloucester Tree - a giant, fire-lookout tree, towering 60-metre-high above the forest.
Southern Forests website
Bibbulmun Walking Track Website also WA Tourism website
|Acitivites and Stays - Broome and surrounds|
|Excursions||Sunset Camel Ride - Cable Beach|
|Willie Creek Pearl Farm tour|
|Sunset dining - Intombi Broome's Pearling Lugger Experience|
|Sun Pictures - the oldest, operating, outdoors picture theatre in the world!|
|Touring||Kununurra & Bungle Bungle Ranges|
|Cape Leveque and Horizontal Waterfalls|
|Day-tours||Buccaneer Archipelago Explorer|
|Kimberley Explorer - flight across Kimberley cattle country and ranges, cruise Geikie Gorge, fly over the Buccaneer Archipelago|
|Half and Full-Day Fishing tours|
|Whale Watching (in season)|
|Broome-Kimberley Travel is local to the Kimberley , WA and the whole of the Top End. A comprehensive range of tours and holiday options available on the website.|
|Stay||Berkeley River Lodge (March - October)|
|El Questro Homestead and Wilderness park|
|Cable Beach Club Resort - Cable Beach, Broome|
|Eco Beach - Eco Villas and Tents - South of Broome|
|Pinctada Hotels and Resorts - Cable Beach, Broome | Kimberley Grande, Kununurra |
McAlpine House - boutique retreat, Broome
|Dining in Broome||The Wharf - on the Broome port jetty! Seafood.|
|Pinctada - excellent dining and wine selection.|
|Sunset Bar and Grill - for sunset - Cable Beach Club Resort. Also Thai Pearl Restaurant (in season).|
|Matso's Curry Hut and Brewery|
Australia's Northwest website
When travelling here, particularly by car, you must make sure that you are correctly informed - specialised maps are essential
Most comprehensive list of the towns - accommodation & tours - in the region: Broome, Derby, Fitzroy Crossing, Mitchell Plateau, Halls Creek, Kununurra, Wyndham
Kimberleys + Broome website
The KIMBERLEY at a glance >>
- BUNGLE BUNGLE NATIONAL PARK
- CABLE BEACH | Cable Beach Resort and Pinctada
- LAKE ARGYLE | http://www.lakeargyle.com/
- DAMPIER PENINSULA/ CAPE LEVEQUE
- BUCCANEER ARCHIPELAGO
- WINDJANA GORGE
- GEIKIE GORGE NATIONAL PARK
- WOLFE CREEK CRATER
- HORIZONTAL WATERFALL
- BELL GORGE
- PRINCE REGENT NATURE RESERVE / KING CASCADES